Fedora 7 vs. Ubuntu Feisty Fawn

Brian Truter mail-lists at darkworlds.org
Tue Feb 20 17:52:07 UTC 2007

> Dear Fedora User Community,
>
> I have used various flavors of Linux in the past... starting with Corel
> Linux, SUSE, and then onto Red Hat. The last one I used before Fedora Core
> 6
> was Red Hat 9~ so I had been out of the loop for quite sometime.. (was too
> busy with Mac OS X)
>
> I don't know much about Ubuntu but have heard that the new Ubuntu Feisty
> Fawn is coming out a little before Fedora 7 comes out and that it's
> supposed
> to be much better (just from word of mouth). I was hoping that the Fedora
> User Community could tell me 'and other users out there' why we should
> stick
> with Fedora.
>
> I'm new to Fedora and like what I've seen so far. I'm hoping that Fedora
> will be the #1 choice for everyone in the future. Is there a big
> difference
> between Ubuntu and Fedora? Please don't feel offended by this. I'm just
> curious as to why not everyone has already switched to Fedora..
>
> Sincerely,
> Ryan

I am with the crowd that says its really a matter of preference. I have
used both distros, and I personally prefer Fedora. If I really had to
choose overall, I lean towards Gentoo, but that is a distro that requires
more effort to administer than I usually have time for. In my experience
Fedora seems to work better for in workstation or server environment,
whereas Ubuntu is more for a Desktop type environment.

Fedora doesn't come with some of the copyright grey area software, and I
believe Ubuntu does, which is mostly audio/video related stuff like mp3
support and DVD stuff. This is all readily available for Fedora, and
installs in a snap, it just doesn't come in the base package. I am unsure
as to why Ubuntu can do it and Fedora chooses not to.

This mailing list is another great feature, help for RedHat/Fedora
installations is always easy to find. Ubuntu isnt too bad either in that
area, however. Some of the more advanced things I have tinkered with on my
Linux machine, it was always easier to find info for RedHat/Fedora, from
setting up mail servers, to clustering, to high availability web servers,
etc. I have never attempted those on Ubuntu, so maybe that info is out
there somewhere also. It just seems to me that since RedHat has been
around for so long, the help you need is always out on Google somewhere.
That hasnt always been the case for my Ubuntu issues =)

Oh yea, I like yum! lol