Survey question re sourceforge & cvs

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Feb 21 03:27:54 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 20:20 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 February 2007, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >>----
> >>please don't encourage him.
> >
> >FWIW, traceroutes to sourceforge are delayed many seconds at the
> >clarksburg vz hub, 30 miles from here.  Google completes the same in
> >100ms.
> >
> >>You undoubtedly need to check with the packagers for the proper access
> >>via cvs commands since each setup is different.
> >>
> >>Craig
>
> Also in the FWIW dept., Craig, I was using their commands, pasted directly
> from the web server at <http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=174026>
>
> But generally speaking, I think your bias re old farts is showing. :-)
>
> I just spent an hour on the phone to tech support, with the end result
> being an open trouble ticket.  We see how the cookie crumbles tomorrow
> when there's a slim chance somebody who knows what a unix port number is
> MIGHT be available to argue.  This person told me they aren't blocking
> any ports.  Yeah, sure, it's right in the TOS that port 80 is blocked.
>
> Too damned bad the left hand and the right hand aren't attached to the
> same body...
----
you're wasting your time with Verizon...it's not their problem.

I suggested that you needed to ask the project people how to do it but it was easy enough to figure out if you browse the repository...

$ mkdir deleteme
$ cd deleteme
$ cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at nitros9.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/nitros9
login
### note press 'enter' when prompted for password

$ cvs -z3
-d:pserver:anonymous at nitros9.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/nitros9 \
co -P nitros9

$ done

Craig

PS: I don't have a bias against old farts...I'm getting to be one
myself. I get discouraged when you always seem to pick the path of least
resistance and not the path of good reasoning. I can appreciate that you
couldn't grok the actual command to do the cvs checkout and rather than
ask the project, you come on this list which has nothing to do with that
project and then waste yours and Verizon's time.

PPS: Internet providers might block port 80 on inbound connections but
not on outbound connections - there is a differentiation called source
port and destination port and thus Verizon wouldn't block any outbound
connections on port 80 or it would be a fairly worthless Internet
provider. CVS connections of course have nothing to do with port 80
(grep cvs /etc/services)