Installing synce from tarballs: where to install?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Feb 23 15:24:07 UTC 2007

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> I see. I did not realize that it is possible to have more than one
> version of a library installed. Actually, I thought quite the
> opposite, what with the mess of Dag/FreshRPMs/friends vs.
> Livna/Extras. But now at least I have the keywords to google. Thank
> you.

Take a look at the compat-<something> packages. They install older
versions of libraries and programs for backwards compatibility. The
mess of Dag/FreshRPMs/friends vs. Livna/Extras is more a matter of
how things are packaged, and of 2 packages with the same version
number compiled with different options. You can also run into
problems when a package is build with a specific version of a
library as a requirement in the .spec file. I have run into packages
that require library x.x.1 but in reality work just fine with
library x.x.2 as well. So you ether have to get the source RPM and
rebuild, or do a --nodeps install. The hard part is knowing when it
is safe to use --nodeps. This type of package can also give you
problems when you want to upgrade from library x.x.1 to x.x.2,
because it breaks the dependencies for the package, even though it
will work just fine with the new package. There are times when it is
necessary to rebuild a package when you upgrade the library - in
that case you need to upgrade both the library and the package at
the same time...

Mikkel