VMWare: not seeing USB devices

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 14:15:01 UTC 2007

On FC6 on a Dell laptop I have VMWare server installed, and it runs a
Windows XP Home Edition VM. Although USB devices (printers, memory
sticks) work fine in FC6, the VM cannot see them. When I look in
Removable Media -> USB in VMWare, there is nothing there. I tried with
my printer, my memory stick, and my Dell Axim x50v. lsusb does in fact
show the devices.

Note that all these devices work fine in VMWare on a neighboring
Kubuntu desktop, with one caveat: a USB device is seen only after an
additional USB device is connected, and only the first device shows.
That means that if I want to use my USB printer, I must turn on the
printer, then inset my memory stick. Only then does VM see the printer
(and it still doesn't see the memory stick). So I know that VMWare has
problems with USB, but at least it works on the kubuntu desktop.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/ram.html
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/187/eve_s_plum.html