Re: Slightly OT: bad rap for Fedora, and realistic effects

On 2/25/07, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen gmail com> wrote:
On 23/02/07, aragonx dcsnow com <aragonx dcsnow com> wrote:
> > Yes technically and for performance reasons command
> > line is superior but if Linux is to have wide spread use the technical
> > level of the consumer has to be considered, in my opinion the Ubuntu
> > distros are an attempt to move in this direction.
>
> Fedora/Redhat can NOT be the best distro for all applications.  Perhaps it
> isn't a very good desktop.  I wouldn't know.  I use them as servers.  If
> Ubuntu is a better desktop, great!  When I need a desktop I will install
> that.  I think Redhat/Fedora make superior server distros and that is what
> I use them for.  There is plenty of room for a great desktop distro and a
> great server distro.
>
> In the long run, it might even be wise for Redhat to specialize on the
> server sector.  The number of applications that are available for Linux
> has grown to the point where I don't see how one company, no matter the
> size, would be able to find the 'best of breed' apps for everything.
>
> With growth, comes change.

I agree that one distro should not be both server AND desktop. Even M$
has a desktop version of Windows (Vista) and a server version
(Server). Well, it might be more like trashcan version and spambot
version, but you get the point.

Dotan Cohen

Strange complaint, since Fedora will have a Desktop and a Server spin
- or are you implying that the diff. Windows "versions" are more than
spins?

--
Fedora Core 6 and proud