Slightly OT: bad rap for Fedora, and realistic effects

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 16:01:54 UTC 2007

Vivek J. Patankar wrote:
> Norm wrote:
>> For me the ideal Fedora distro(s) would be a 1 live disk for both
>> server and a desktop version.  The ability as we have now to add
>> individual packages we feel the need for. And the additional 3 to 5
>> disks we have
>
> What I would like to see in Fedora 7 is a 2 DVD set that has
> *everything*. Almost all ISPs that I can opt for here have ridiculously
> low caps on download limits. So, unless I use my office network (which
> is okay for my laptop, but not for my desktop), I can't do any heavy
> duty yum'ing.
>

>> now could be bundled packages  such as a graphics add on to either of
>> the of the main distros.  Yes I know graphics on a server does not
>> make a lot of sense.  Other packages could be a security bundle, sql
>> bundle etc.
>
> Not necessarily. AFAIK, Oracle installation has to be done thru GUI. So
> whenever I am building a box for a database server I have to put in a
> minimal gnome desktop. My DBA even wanted to have a remote GUI terminal
> (he heard of XDMCP from somewhere). I literally had to put a gun to his
> head and make him do all his work via putty.

Remote X with forwarding via 'ssh -Y' makes a lot more sense for servers
than having a real console and all of the desktop environment stuff
installed.   If you have low bandwidth or need remote access you can run
freenx on a machine near the servers, and the free NX client (windows,
linux or mac) from the remote location(s).  This gets you an X desktop
with good remote performance that you can use to host ssh sessions with
or without X forwarding to your server machines.  And it gets even
better: with nx/freenx you can disconnect and suspend a session and
reconnect later, even from a different location with all the
communication done via ssh, so if you need to start some long running
programs from work and check on them later from home it is easy to do.

Make your DBA happy...

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com