cross compiling on x86_64

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Feb 26 02:20:36 UTC 2007

Philippe A. writes:

> « HTML content follows »
> I have installed FC6 x86_64 on my new system. I would like to know how I
> can compile a 32 bit freetype package. The following didn't work:
>
> rpmbuild -bb freetype.spec -bb --target i386
>
> It fails with these errors:
>
> checking build system type... x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
> checking host system type... x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
> checking target system type... i386-redhat-linux-gnu

I do not believe that rpm's stock configuration supports cross-building to a
different architecture.  The --target parameter only sets the architecture
label on the resulting rpms, and not much more.

Cross-compilation is not trivial to set up.  You must install, beforehand,
the i386 build of every library that your software compiles against, and you
must know, beforehand, what they are.  Then, you'll need to arrange,
somehow, for the software's configuration script and makefile pass the -m32
option to gcc.

It's rather unlikely that freetype's rpm and configure script implements all
of this.