approved mechanism to switch to 32-bit firefox?

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Wed Feb 28 17:54:10 UTC 2007

Joel Gomberg wrote:

> Well, I doubt this is an "approved" method, but I edit
> /usr/bin/firefox at line 40 and change "/usr/lib64..." to
> "/usr/notlib64."  This fools the script into thinking there is no
> 64-bit firefox.  The only problem with this is remembering to make the
> change each time firefox is updated.  The line number is from firefox
> 2.0 from the development repo.  It may be different for firefox 1.5.
> Just look for the lines like these:
>
> if [ -x "/usr/notlib64/firefox-2.0.0.1/firefox-bin" ]
> then
>   MOZ_LIB_DIR="/usr/lib64"

If you're going to try something like this, may I point out that by
default /usr/local/bin is ahead of /usr/bin. So you can copy the file to
/usr/local/bin, make the changes there, and allow yum to update Firefox
at will. The only problem would be if the script changed incompatibly,
and that seems unlikely.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | Humans are humans. No one grouping is all good or all
aprilcottage.co.uk | bad, no one group has a monopoly on honour, decency or