DPMS errors in vncserver (fc6)

Gene Smith gds at chartertn.net
Mon Jan 1 23:34:17 UTC 2007

When I start kde in a vncserver I see the log file (in ~/.vnc/) slowly
fill with this:

Xlib:  extension "DPMS" missing on display ":1.0".

This occurs even when a viewer is not connected.

Otherwise, the server/viewer works ok.

If I start gnome or twm from ~/.vnc/xstartup I don't see these errors.

How do I fix this?

Thanks,
-gene

P/S: If I uncomment the two lines for a "normal desktop" (whatever that
means) it still runs gnome even when trying to run kde, e.g.,:

#!/bin/sh

# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
unset SESSION_MANAGER
exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &
xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
startkde &
<eof>

So I keep them commented to run kde:
#unset SESSION_MANAGER