[OT] Sendmail Question

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Thu Jan 4 18:26:55 UTC 2007

On Thursday, Jan 4th 2007 at 16:42 -0000, quoth Dan Track:

=>On 1/4/07, Steven W. Orr <steveo at syslang.net> wrote:
=>> On Thursday, Jan 4th 2007 at 15:20 -0000, quoth Dan Track:
=>>
=>> =>Hi
=>> =>
=>> =>I was wondering if someobody could show me how to configure sendmail
=>> =>so that anything I send to it gets trashed into say /dev/null. i.e
=>> =>that sendmail accepts mail but doesn't deliver.
=>> =>
=>> =>Any help would be appreciated
=>> =>Thanks
=>> =>Dan
=>> =>
=>>
=>> I think your question is flawed. If sendmail accepts a messgae then it
=>> will be delivered. If it can't accept the message because the person that
=>> it's addressed to doesn't exist then the default action is to not accept.
=>
=>Thanks for the reply. Maybe if I explain what I'm doing it might help.
=>I've written this small mailer program that send mails to a number of
=>people, the config file contains live email addresses. What I'd like
=>to do is run the program on my desktop, and use my local sendmail to
=>accept the emails but then to delete or drop them. Bear in mind that
=>these are live email addresses so if they get out the people will be
=>rather annoyed.
=>
=>Let me know if I've not made myself clear

Sorry, but you're not clear yet. First of all, you seem to be trying to
implement a mailinglist manager when you could be using something like
Majordomo2 or Mailman. Second, you say you want sendmail to "delete or
drop them" but you don't explain under what conditions they should be
deleted or dropped while at the same time you claim that all of the
addresses are "live". Also, are you trying to figure out how to discard
the return messages if the enduser's box is full? I need more info.

steveo at syslang.net