Fedora Add/remove software

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jan 5 12:31:01 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 17:14 +0530, Pushparaj Shetty wrote:
> I have installed FC6. After successful installation I wanted to add
> software like latex, dia etc.
> But it said: Another program is using this and aborts. same is the
> problem with yum

That would be the program that automatically checks for updates.  You'd
need to stop it first (which seems rather stupid to me, you shouldn't
have to do that, the program should be co-operative with manual
installation of more software).

I killed it off, permanently, a long time ago.  So this is going from
memory:  As root, run:  service yum-updatesd stop

Now, you ought to be able to use yum, manually, or other utilities that
make use of yum.