yum be killing me, this is totally strange... totally

Rob Andrews rob at choralone.org
Fri Jan 5 13:05:20 UTC 2007

On 05-Jan-2007 08:56.54 (GMT), Ric Moore wrote:
 > [root at iam log]# rpm -qa --queryformat "%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{ARCH} \\n" |
 > grep kmod-nvidia | sort
 > kmod-nvidia-1.0.9631-i686
 > kmod-nvidia-1.0.9631-i686 <---tried something I got off the web.

If you are going to paste the output of rpm -q into rpm -e, the format is:

rpm -qa --queryformat '%{name}-%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}\n'

 > [root at iam log]# rpm -e kmod-nvidia-1.0.9631-i686 <---tried to erase it
 > error: package kmod-nvidia-1.0.9631-i686 is not installed  <-- no go

You can't specify architecture with -%{arch} at the end of a package, it's
denoted by a period. And you're missing the release.

You could probably do:

rpm -e kmod-nvidia.i686

Beware that if you have multiple versions installed, it'll remove all of
them if you don't specify the version and release.

 > I finally got the sucker, but I have no clue how I got two of 'em.

Packages can be upgraded in two ways - one package replaces the old package,
or the new package sits side-by-side.

If the latter is true, all files in the package must not conflict with the
previous versions.

Kernels install side-by-side, so you can have a new release as well as an
old release. kmod-* packages also work this way, otherwise you wouldn't be
able to install a newer kernel and have working kmod-* packages for both
versions.

In short, what happened was perfectly valid :)

rob andrews                       :: pgp 0x01e00563 :: rob at choralone.org