Where Is The AVRISP USB Programmer When I Plug It In?

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sat Jan 6 02:24:08 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

First, thanks a lot for taking the time to make your suggestions. I
really appreciate it.

> Stopping IPtables is not going to help. This is not a network
> problem. IPtables will only affect a USB NIC, and not other USB
> devices on the local machine.

Good point, I should have considered that. Maybe I was really thinking
of SELinux. But it's disabled on this machine. Silly of me.

> If the problem were that the program could not write to the serial
> port, you should see that is the dialog from avrdude. It looks like
> the program is able to read and write the port.

OK, I follow you (and am learning from you too.)

> Now, I have a couple of questions:
> Does the programmer plug directly into the USB bus, or is the a USB
> to serial adapter that is then plugged into a serial port on the
> programmer?

It plugs straight into a USB port. Has the usual 'A' style USB
connector. There is no USB-to-serial adapter although I have one still
in the clamshell packaging. If you want I can send you a photo of the
programmer off-list.
> Is the programmer a USB to serial device with TTL level outputs? If
> so, are you doing this with the cable plugged into something you are
> trying to program?

I'm not sure what you mean here by 'USB to serial device with TTL level
outputs'. Yes, the programmer is plugged into a USB port on my FC5
machine at one end and an Atmel-based controller board on the other end.
I want to program an Atmel Atmega128 chip which is on the controller
board. It has a Maxim Max3222 chip on board. The board is intended to be
a robot controller.

> Do you have any other USB serial devices? (ls /dev/ttyUSB*) If so,
> are you sure you are using the correct one?

There is only /dev/ttyUSB0.
> Are you sure the programmer works?

No, I'm not sure. I'm going to test it on a different computer tonight.

Thanks!

Bob