Where Is The AVRISP USB Programmer When I Plug It In?

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Sat Jan 6 03:52:36 UTC 2007

Robert L Cochran wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>
> First, thanks a lot for taking the time to make your suggestions. I
> really appreciate it.
>>   Stopping IPtables is not going to help. This is not a network
>> problem. IPtables will only affect a USB NIC, and not other USB
>> devices on the local machine.
>>
> Good point, I should have considered that. Maybe I was really thinking
> of SELinux. But it's disabled on this machine. Silly of me.
>
>> If the problem were that the program could not write to the serial
>> port, you should see that is the dialog from avrdude. It looks like
>> the program is able to read and write the port.
>>
> OK, I follow you (and am learning from you too.)
>
>> Now, I have a couple of questions:
>> Does the programmer plug directly into the USB bus, or is the a USB
>> to serial adapter that is then plugged into a serial port on the
>> programmer?
>>
> It plugs straight into a USB port. Has the usual 'A' style USB
> connector. There is no USB-to-serial adapter although I have one still
> in the clamshell packaging. If you want I can send you a photo of the
> programmer off-list.

This is typical of many devices, I wrote a device driver to talk
to a few and I cheat and treat them some-what like a serial port
(I'm missing a lot of termio support which causes some problem
with some software).

>> Do you have any other USB serial devices? (ls /dev/ttyUSB*) If so,
>> are you sure you are using the correct one?
>>
> There is only /dev/ttyUSB0.
>> Are you sure the programmer works?
>>

> No, I'm not sure. I'm going to test it on a different computer tonight.

If the is no /dev/ttyUSB0 (ls -l) /dev/ttyUSB0, check /dev/usb/ttyUSB0
if it is there check it's permissions. I got the impression the usb
sub system created the device. Still might be a permission problem
(kind of doubt it though).

What software (name) and hardware (name)?

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site