Restarting modem/router through software

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Jan 7 19:59:00 UTC 2007

Paul Smith wrote:
>> > and then on again. Can that be done only with software, without using
>> > the modem physical switcher?
>> >
>> It depends on how it "sticks". If it has a WEB/based interface, and
>> that works when the router 'sticks", then you may be able to do a
>> software reset. If it is locking up, and not responding to the
>> outside world, then you are limited to the switch or some other
>> method of turning off the power, and turning it back on.
>>
>> Have you checked for a firmware upgrade for the modem/router that
>> fixes the "sticking" problem?
>
> Thanks, Mikkel. The modem was supplied by my ISP and there is no
> documentation at all. I have tried to upgrade the firmware, but I
> always get "time out", even with the firewall off. And yes, there is a
> web interface for the modem. My problem is that during the night I
> leave my computer downloading and the downloads are interrupted
> because the Internet connection becomes sort of blocked (needing a
> power off and on of the modem).
>
> Paul

One thing you may want to check on is if the public IP address you
have changes during the night. Your DHCP lease may be expiring, and
you are getting a "new" IP address. I would also look into the
settings for the modem to see if it has something like a timeout
setting. Depending on the type of download you are doing, it is
possible that your modem is not seeing the activity and is turning
itself off.

As far as upgrading the firmware, because it is your ISP's modem,
and not yours, it may be locked so that you need a password in order
to update the firmware.

In any case, before you spend too much time on trying to work around
the problem with the modem, I would first try to get your ISP to fix
the problem with the modem. You should also check your TOS and AUP
to make sure that doing overnight downloads are allowed. I would not
expect any problems with a cable or DSL connection. But I remember
dialup connections that would time out after 4 hours, and require me
to wait a bit before connecting again.

If you have to come up with a work-around, check to see if you can
reset the modem using the web interface instead of power-cycling it.
If so, you can probably set up a wget or Lynx command to do the same
thing. (On my modem, it is a form post command that does the reset.)

Mikkel