Restarting modem/router through software

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 7 18:56:19 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Paul Smith wrote:
>
>> Dear All
>>

>>> From time to time, my modem/router sticks and I have to switch it off
>>>
>> and then on again. Can that be done only with software, without using
>> the modem physical switcher?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Paul
>>

> It depends on how it "sticks". If it has a WEB/based interface, and
> that works when the router 'sticks", then you may be able to do a
> software reset. If it is locking up, and not responding to the
> outside world, then you are limited to the switch or some other
> method of turning off the power, and turning it back on.
>
> Have you checked for a firmware upgrade for the modem/router that
> fixes the "sticking" problem?
>
> Mikkel

Paul,

If the router/modem is still responding to its web interface, take a
look at the HTML source to find out what command is executed when you
hit the reset button on the web page.  For instance, I have a D-Link
DI-624 and issuing the following will reset it:

 wget -O /dev/null --http-user=admin --http-password=admin-password http://192.168.1.1/restart.cgi

Bob...