many many error messages in kernel log : 4gb seg fixup, process acroread

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Wed Jan 10 14:01:04 UTC 2007

Ken Tanzer wrote:
> John Q. reported this problem on 12/31, with no reply.  We are seeing
> the same problem in our logs.  Does anyone have an idea how to solve it,
> or even some suggestions for troubleshooting or investigating?  Thanks
> in advance.
>
> Ken
>
>> Hello fedora-list,
>>
>> I have fedora FC6 on i386 machine with latest acroread. (7.0.8).
>> When starting acroerad and all the time it is opened I see many
>> many error messages in the kernel log:

>> Dec 31 12:27:47 rr kernel: printk: 7133 messages suppressed.
>> Dec 31 12:27:47 rr kernel: 4gb seg fixup, process acroread (pid
>> 14328), cs:ip 73:00d719f7
>> Dec 31 12:27:52 rr kernel: printk: 2743 messages suppressed.
>> Dec 31 12:27:52 rr kernel: 4gb seg fixup, process acroread (pid
>> 14328), cs:ip 73:00d719f7

>> This messages appear each second , which means thousands messages in a
>> second.
>>
>> At the second I close the app, these messages stop.
>> Any idea why ?
Maybe ps aux|grep acro and post that.
Are you displaying pdf file at the time you are seeing the message ?
This could be just with the firefox plugin as well ?
If you tail -f /var/log/messages  and start/stop acrobat, do the
messages start / stop ?

If you use the fc6 Evince 0.6.0 to view a pdf does the message continue ?
It seems to be a bug in the upstream acroread itself, and if so it might
be worth searching adobe's web site for faq/forums/bugzilla's, and
posting your experiences there.

DaveT.