how to use *.debuginfo rpms.

Pawel null7 at wp.pl
Thu Jan 11 13:46:16 UTC 2007

Hallo group members.

I unfortunatelly did not find any information on how to use debuginfo files for debugging purposes, that's why I decided to ask You.

Do You know any helpful link?

I also played a while with example ethereal-debuginfo file on my fc3.

what I did:
prompt# rpm -ivh ~/ethereal-0.10.14-1.FC3.1.i386.rpm
prompt# rpm -ivh ~/ethereal-debuginfo-0.10.14-1.FC3.1.i386.rpm
prompt# rpm -qf /usr/sbin/tethereal
ethereal-0.10.14-1.FC3.1

prompt# gdb /usr/sbin/tethereal

then I set breakpoint at main() function in /usr/src/debug/ethereal-0.10.14/tethereal.c. I am really surprised that I can do it! Does it mean that fedora developers do not remove debug symbols from /usr/sbin/tethereal, which in fact is an executable?

I also found file:
prompt# rpm -qf /usr/lib/debug/usr/sbin/tethereal.debug
ethereal-debuginfo-0.10.14-1.FC3.1

what is this file for? I cannot run it:
prompt# /usr/lib/debug/usr/sbin/tethereal.debug
bash: /usr/lib/debug/usr/sbin/tethereal.debug: Permission denied

I also cannot debug it with gdb.

Another question: how to use libraries from ethereal-debuginfo rpm package efficiently? I use them in following way and it works, but maybe there is some better way:
prompt# export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib

regards,
Pawel