rpmq hangs, rpm --rebuilddb gives segmentation fault

Don Levey fedora-list at the-leveys.us
Thu Jan 11 15:11:24 UTC 2007

Has anyone seen anything like this?  This morning at about 4:am (when my
daily cron jobs run) it seems that a process was started for rpmq.  When I
woke up this morning I found that it was still running, taking 99% of my
CPU.  I decided to kill it; CPU was returned.  However, running yum update
or rpm -qa, each of which run rpmq, causes the problem again.

Looking online, I see that one was to deal with this is to rebuild the RPM
database via 'rpm --rebuilddb'.  However, that seg faults on me.  I tried to
run 'yum clean' to no avail.  Should I try 'rpm --initdb' instead?

 -Don