Fedora 6 is not able to install in PIII, 256MB SD RAM, 1.3GHz

Norm maillist at sios.ca
Thu Jan 11 18:26:49 UTC 2007

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 18:18 +0530, Just Do it wrote:
>
>> Fedora 6 installation is not working in PIII, 256MB SD RAM(2 stick),
>> 1.3GHz
>>
>> Each time I try to install it hang during the installation
>> time...every time at different location....
>>
>> I try with all possible option available in fedora 6 I guess....still
>> fails..
>> Tried around 20 time or so...not kidding :-)
>>

> I used FC5 to install to a PIII. Used text mode for the install. It's
> slower than hell. The INSTALL-HOWTO will point out that you really need
> some horsepower under the hood for FC6. If it says that 256MB is
> minimal, you'll get minimal, if at all. Especially if memory is shared
> with video. Then, you really don't have 256MB of ram. You'll have
> X-amount less.
>
> It's got all 8 cylinders firing and the bleeding edge means hardware as
> well as software. Putting lipstick on a pig is still a pig, no
> disrespect to your machine intended. You may be better served with
> Ubuntu in this situation. Ric

I have not been able to determine what vintage the processor in my old
box is but with a 735 clock speed we can assume it is old.

I did bump the RAM to 256, FC6 loads on this box although it does take a
while and for most uses it seems to run well enough for home desktop
and there are no significant user issues other than it is slow.  I did
find during some FC5 loads that the CD drive was a little finicky and
used another slightly newer drive to do the installs.