Adding a new disk

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Fri Jan 12 08:50:42 UTC 2007

Hi everyone,
	Got a new 300GB disk for my old beater box here and want to add it to
support the user files.  It shows as uninitialized in LVM as /dev/hdb.
I would like to format it and make a single partition for user data.
What is the "best" method?  I noticed that there was an initialize
button on the LVM display, but I don't press such buttons unless and
until I am sure of what they will really do.

	In the "old days" it was format and partition, then create a mount
point and add it to fstab.  But with all the automated tools I figure
there must be a slicker and more efficient way that also will encode
some necessary info for all the graphical tools that exist today.

Regards,
Les H

Regards,
Les H