How to configure sendmail to send messages

Steve Searle steve at stevesearle.com
Sun Jan 14 17:30:01 UTC 2007

Around 05:20pm on Sunday, January 14, 2007 (UK time), Antonio Olivares scrawled:

> Dear list,
>
>    I have a problem sending messages from command line
> in two of my machines.  I believe I have sendmail
> installed but do not know how to test if it is there?
> I want to update a machine on linux counter but mail
> does now work, and I get a dead.letter on my home
> directory.  I have tried doing the following, but to

Did you start it.  Assuming you installed it from the CD or rpm, enter:

service sendmail start

as root.

To set it to run automatically enter:

chkconfig sendmail on

Steve

--

A:  Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q:  Why is top-posting a bad thing?

 17:27:56 up 148 days, 19:54,  2 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.04, 0.00