FC5, And FC6 won't shutdown completely

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sun Jan 14 18:36:42 UTC 2007

On Saturday 13 January 2007 02:47, Jim Cornette wrote:

> Good luck on your quest to pinpoint the origins of trouble with some
> computers after upgrades were applied.
>
> > I'll be back, maybe admitting that I'm defeated, but I'll be back.
>
> I'm interested in what is causing these errors myself. I fortunately do
> not have those problems now with the present kernels. There was a bug
> awhile back that caused problems with complete shutdown of the system.
> It was corrected but I have no idea as to what fixed the problem. Maybe
> there is a patch that was applied and now was removed, I don't know.
>
> sorry I'm not able to give more knowledgeable information to you though.
>
> See you with the verdict. :-)
>
> Jim

Ok. Jury's back in with the verdict, sort of.  Having done a fresh install of
FC5 where FC3 was, I first used Yum to install Apt, and Synaptic, that I'm
happier with.

1st problem. The list of kernels on synaptic no longer show the 2. 6.17
kernels, and these were the ones I'm convinced were shutting down completely,
prior to updates, or booting with a 2.6.18 kernel. As I can't try the 2.6.17
kernels, I install the 2.6.18 one which is on the list, don't do any updates,
and reboot with the 2.6.18 kernel. No acpid started, and it fails to shutdown
completely, but as before the original 2.6.15 kernel still shutsdown
completely.

I have to retract my assumtion that this problem was due to updates. I still
am convinced that the 2.6.17 kernels were shutting down completely, but it
appears that booting with a 2.6.18 kernel appears to make some changes in the
system somewhere or other, so that when, later, booting with a 2.6.17 kernel,
the 2.6.17 kernel no longer behaves as it used to. Also, and it may be
totally unrelated. I notice when booting with a 2.6.18 kernel, I get a system
beep when bootup gets to the GDM login.

This is not the first time I've seen this sort of kernel problem on the list.
A while back someone did a kernel update, and something that did work with an
earlier kernel no longer worked. He booted up with the earlier kernel that
had worked previously. It may have been the sound card/network card, but I
can't remember, but any way after booting with a later kernel, the earlier
one didn't behave as it used to, if you can make any sense of that.

So the question is. Is there a mailing list or somewhere that I can find out
what big differences there are between the 2.6.17, and the 2.6.18 kernels?

Also is there anyway of still getting the 2.6.17 kernels, so that I can go
through this fiasco again, and try and prove the point?

I must say that, at the least, working with computers is "interesting".

Nigel.