RealPlayer 10 in FC6: Sound, But No Picture

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 15 22:30:17 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-14 at 23:29 +0000, Michael wrote:

> > Sorry for being slow to come back. I've been working on the
> acpi/shutdown
> > problem, without much success.
> >
> > Anyway I tried the site for audio with Firefox, which opened a
> window asking
> > me to select realplayer, or windows media player. I went for
> realplayer, and
> > got zilch. So,ok, I thought I'd try Windows media player. Shut down
> firefox,
> > opened it again from the link in Kmail, but no deal, it was still
> trying to
> > use realplayer. I gave it up last night as a bad job.
> >
> > Anyway I cleared the Firefox cache, and anything else I could find
> to clear
> > today, and have tried the site again. Wonders of Wonders, I now have
> the
> > window asking me to select a player. Ok. I'll go for WMP this time,
> and about
> > 1 minute later I get sound, and miraculously it's still playing
> sound with no
> > breaks.
> >
> > So all that can be said is that the site works with
> Mplayerplugins .wmp
> > plugin, but doesn't seem to want to work with Realplayer10GOLD.bin.
> >
> > I must say that you really need to be on the ball, and ready to try
> > alternative options with linux, but more often than not something
> seems to
> > work.
> >
> > All the best Aaron.
> >
> > Nigel.
Well I did the same thing ans it worked on my FC4 machine but not on the
FC6 machine. I get tired of trying things at random until something
works. I want a system that works in a consistent fashion.

Just to ocnfuse things on my FC5 system choosing RealPlayer instead of
Windows Media player works starting RealPlayer. It is frustrating.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net