Passing framebuffer address

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Jan 16 10:53:48 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 16 January 2007 10:33, Mark Knoop wrote:
> On 15/01/07, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> > I need to pass the framebuffer address to v4l, in order to use xawtv with
> > my capture card.  I used the recommended command (as root)  'v4l.conf -a
> > 0xE0000000' but got '-bash: v4l.conf: command not found' in return.  I
> > have done this in the past without problems, so I don't understand what's
> > changed.
>
> I don't have xawtv, but this seems to be telling you that v4l.conf is
> not an executable in yout $PATH. Below, you refer to v4l-conf (NB the
> hyphen in place of the dot) - could this be the command you need?

Mark, you're a star :-)  It's so hard, sometimes, to spot your own typos.
Replacing the dot with a hyphen was all that was needed.

> > I can't simply manually edit v4l, as I haven't a clue where this
> > parameter is supposed to go.
> >
> > I found this:
> >
> > -a adr
> >     Set framebuffer address to adr. The value should be specified in hex.
> > This option is allowed for root only. You can't overwrite the
> > autodetected value, this switch is only useful if autodetect doesn't work
> > because the X-Server lacks DGA support. You can put this into
> > /etc/conf.modules, as "post-install bttv ..." for example.
>
> In what package is this documentation?

I can't really remember.  I copied that about a year ago.  I can confirm,
though, that xawtv does work with my capture card after I've run that
command.

Thanks again

Anne