help with mud server please

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jan 19 21:34:30 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 08:10 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> service iptables stop
> will turn delete all of the iptables rules. If you are running a
> really minimal system, you mioght be OK doing that, but I don't
> recommend it. You can certainly try that for short periods to make
> sure the iptables rules are what's causing problems for your
> application.

I would advise against that, and say that it's not "certain" that you
can do that for short periods.

If you happen to have a security hole in your system that iptables was
protecting you from, a few seconds without iptables may be enough to do
the damage.  It's certainly worse to expose yourself for a long time,
but that doesn't mean that you're safe to do it for just a moment.

I read messages from the public lists.