Force usb drive to /dev/sdb1 ?

Gene Smith gds at chartertn.net
Sat Jan 20 04:53:35 UTC 2007

Robin Laing wrote, On 01/19/2007 02:52 PM:

> I think labeling will be better and then access the /media/XYZ name.  I
> do this with my USB and SD cards.  It makes life much easier.  Then it
> doesn't matter what port they are plugged into or for that matter, what
> computer as they are always the same at work or home.

Thanks everyone. I didn't know the /dev/disk/by-* thing existed. I went
with the labeling method. I put a label on my drive using /sbin/e2label
/dev/sdb1 fd-usb-backup. On boot I now get the symlink
/dev/disk/by-label/fd-usb-backup pointing to ../../sdb1 and I mount
using the symlink name. Just what I was looking for!