Checking dependencies in packages selected for installation

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Jan 20 15:44:28 UTC 2007

Right now, it's 10:37am.  Around 10:00 I began upgrading FC4 to FC6. At
10:06am, anaconda started stage 2, I told it to upgrade, and I got to the
"Checking dependencies in packages selected for instalation".

It's 10:37am, I'm still on that stupid screen, and the progress bar is still
on 0%.  On an ALT-VT, I can see anaconda is still shewing on
/var/lib/rpm/Packages.

What exactly is so complicated here?  This is not rocket science. This
should not take more than a few minutes to compile a list of packages to
ugprade.  This is not a complete FC 4 install.  Just the base install, plus
X, plus dev tools.

It seems that with each passing release rpm, and yum, keeps getting slower
and bloated.  It's a dinosaur, with years' worth of hacks and patches piled
up on top of each other, who's long overdue for retirement and replacement.

Wait…  Hooray!  The progress bar is up to 5%!  It found six packages that
need to be added to the upgrade list to satisfy dependencies.  And it only
took 40 minutes to do so.

What a speed demon.