Checking dependencies in packages selected for installation

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Jan 21 02:39:17 UTC 2007

Gene Heskett writes:

> On Saturday 20 January 2007 12:57, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> [...]
>>After some Googling, it looks like I'll need to nuke /var/lib/__db* and
>> try the upgrade again.  Well, I'm checking these dependencies again,
>> for the next hour.  Here we go again.
>>
>>Whoever decided to use Berkeley DB for RPM, many years ago, should be
>>smacked upside the head.  Hard.  BDB is garbage.  Stay away from it.
>
> I have some very nice white ash in 10/4ths sizes.  email me a design for
> the smacker and it will magicly appear.

Thanks, but I'm too busy today.  Today, the simple FC 4 to FC 6 upgrade
has so far grown into a 12 hour nightmare, because of this crap.  I just
finished wiping this server and doing a fresh FC 6 install.  It's rpm
database was not salvageable.

> Seriously, there has to be a db engine less error prone than BDB.

It's not just BDB.  rpm needs to go.  How many times did something blew up
in a middle of installing a huge upgrade, leaving you with hundreds of
packages having both the old and the new versions of each package
simultaneously installed?