Disabling touchpad on laptop

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 10:01:18 UTC 2007

On 22/01/07, Matthew Saltzman <mjs at ces.clemson.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Cameron Simpson wrote:
>
> > On 22Jan2007 04:06, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > | I've got a Dell 6400 / E1505 laptop. The great engineers at Dell put
> > | the touchpad so close to the keyboard that I'm hitting it every five
> > | minutes by mistake. Is there and _easy_ way to enable/disable it? Like
> > | a keyboard shortcut, hardware button, or panel applet (KDE)?
> >
> > On ThinkPads I turn this off in the BIOS settings. Maybe you can do this
> > on your Dell.

That would not work as I must reenable it to mouse around. (What is
the correct verb in English?)

> You can use the gsynaptics or ksynaptics app to configure the touchpad in
> GNOME or KDE (assuming it's Synaptics compatible).

Thanks. I installed ksynaptics via yum, but how can I access it?
Typing ksynaptics at the command line gives me a "command not found"
error, and I don't see it anywhere in Kcontrol.

> You might also check out the syndaemon program in the synaptics RPM.  It
> disables the touchpad when you type, so you don't accidentally thumb it,
> but you an still use it.

I'll look into that if I can get ksynaptics running, thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/610/zwan.html
http://music-liriks.com