nvidia drivers worth installing?

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 00:15:33 UTC 2007

On 1/22/07, Lonni J Friedman <netllama at gmail.com> wrote:

> Noticable improvement in what exactly?  You were vague on what wasn't
> performing well.

Ah, I see they do not answer your question.

If the xorg driver does what you want, then leave it.

If you want 3d effects or acclerated "gl" graphics (programs like
Compiz or Beryl for window manager effects or some games) or some
resolutions you can't get with the nv driver from xorg, you should
install the nvidia rpms from livna.  If you want dual monitor support
with the Nvidia Twinview system, you need the nvidia drivers.  I agree
with others who note you should not run the nvidia installer, as it
causes uncontrollable effects. The RPM install is better.  Only hassle
is that there is often a slight lag between the release of new kernels
and the release of the nvidia RPMS from livna.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science