Yum update problem with elfutils

Gregory P. Ennis PoMec at PoMec.Net
Sat Jan 27 17:41:14 UTC 2007

Everyone,

I am having problems with a yum update of a laptop.  The user may have
accidentally shutdown in the middle of an automatic yum update leaving
things incomplete.

The problem involves the update of elfutils

Error: elfutils-libelf conflicts with elfutils > 0.123-1.fc6
Error: elfutils-libelf conflicts with elfutils-libs > 0.123-1.fc6

I may have made things worse in that while trying to fix this problem I
removed the following:

Jan 27 10:35:58 Erased: rpm-build
Jan 27 10:36:01 Erased: elfutils
Jan 27 11:09:29 Erased: elfutils-libs
Jan 27 11:09:50 Erased: elfutils-libs
Jan 27 11:12:54 Erased: elfutils-libelf-devel
Jan 27 11:12:54 Erased: rpm-devel

When I tried to remove elfutils-libelf there were so many other
dependencies that would have also been removed, I aborted the removal.

Now when I try to install elfutils I get the following:

[root at Re02 share]# yum install elfutils
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
Parsing package install arguments
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Downloading header for elfutils to pack into transaction set.
elfutils-0.125-1.fc6.i386 100% |=========================|  15 kB
00:00
---> Package elfutils.i386 0:0.125-1.fc6 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: libdw.so.1(ELFUTILS_0.122) for package:
elfutils
--> Processing Dependency: libdw.so.1 for package: elfutils
--> Processing Dependency: elfutils-libs = 0.125-1.fc6 for package:
elfutils
--> Processing Conflict: elfutils-libelf conflicts elfutils >
0.123-1.fc6
--> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Downloading header for elfutils-libs to pack into transaction set.
elfutils-libs-0.125-1.fc6 100% |=========================|  17 kB
00:00
---> Package elfutils-libs.i386 0:0.125-1.fc6 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Conflict: elfutils-libelf conflicts elfutils-libs >
0.123-1.fc6
--> Processing Conflict: elfutils-libelf conflicts elfutils >
0.123-1.fc6
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: elfutils-libelf conflicts with elfutils > 0.123-1.fc6
Error: elfutils-libelf conflicts with elfutils-libs > 0.123-1.fc6

If any of you can give me a hand I would appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Greg Ennis