64 bit or 32 bit on FC6 x86_64 install

Daniel Qarras dqarras at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 28 07:58:21 UTC 2007

Hi!

--- Bob Hartung <rwhart at mchsi.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>   Having a lot of trouble using yum to update a new FC6 x86_64
> installation.  I receive numerous conflicts of package levels and
> when
> doing an rpm -qa | grep 'someprogram', I note that there are i386 and
>
> x86_64 bit versions of the same programs installed.  This was a clean
>
> install with complete reformat of new hard drives.  Are there really
> both 32 and 64 bit versions of the same packages installed?
>
>   Should this behave in this mannor?  The last time I tried the
> update I
> had dozens of conflicts with pango.
>
>   So if I cannot update would I be better off for now to install the
> i386 version and forget the 64bit version for the time being?

I had the same problem earlier this week, a clean install on an x86-64,
after first boot "yum update" and it didn't work because there were
conflicts with frysk. I did: "rpm -e --allmatches frysk ; yum install
frysk ; yum update ; " and that worked.

I really don't know why there are two versions even of "normal" user
applications, I would understand that some libs are needed both 32/64
bit version but application?