Installing Fedora Core 6 from USB

Rakhesh Sasidharan rakheshster at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 18:04:02 UTC 2007

Hi there!

Has anybody tried installing Fedora Core 6 from USB? I understand one
has to download the diskboot.img file, dd it to the USB disk (dd
if=diskboot.img of=/dev/sda), and that's it. I did these steps, but am
unable to boot from the USB! My machine just bypasses the USB stick as
if there was nothing bootable on it.

I know my USB stick is fine. And I know the BIOS is checking it for
bootsectors too. Coz, the first time I tried, I dd'ed the bootsectors
to /dev/sda1 (the first partition) and so that time the BIOS gave me
an error saying it was unable to boot the USB stick.

Any suggestions on what could be the problem?

I'm trying to boot from USB coz I can't boot from the CD. I get some
isolinux error messages (I've posted in another thread) and I haven't
figured yet why.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Rakhesh