cron problem

kwhiskerz kwhiskerz kwhiskerz at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 30 23:58:42 UTC 2007

Thanks, makes sense.However, on my home computer, it is more vital that jobs are run when I say they should be run, and not according to a random formula. If the football game starts at 1630, I don't care to be reminded up to 68 minutes afterward :-)I guess there's no harm in removing that 000-delay.cron job, eh?kwhiskerz{Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 15:14:26 -0500From: pepebuho at gmail.comTo: fedora-list at redhat.comSubject: Re: cron problemOftentimes, Cron is used to setup communication with other servers to update Clamav or Spamassassin, maybe to run Yum check-update.
The issue is that if everybody is hitting the servers on the hour, we have instataneous hourly DOS attacks on those servers.
The random delay prevents this by randomizing the access time while guaranteeing that within the next XX minutes you will run the update

Javier