Printing header in Firefox -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Wed Jan 31 13:30:02 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 22:07 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> "One set of margins sits inside the other."  Perhaps I have a
>> problem here, I never did quite figure why there were two places for
>> setting the top [all four] margin.  Can you shed some light on that?
>>

> I've had similar fun and problems (sarcastic tone) with margins and that
> same about-the-page information getting cropped off.
>
> When you go to print and the print dialogue pops up (you'll probably
> have to initiate printing from the menu, not a hotkey or toolbar icon,
> to get it to pop up), it has options for how the printer will print the
> page (page size, dimensions, etc., that set the printing area.  It will
> let you set things to print beyond the point that the printer can
> actually print.
>
> Firefox's "page setup" menu item, just above "print", in the file menu,
> sets out how Firefox will create pages to be printed.  What bits of
> information appear where (top left page title, bottom middle page count,
> and so on), and the gaps around that information and the page body
> content.
>
> You'd want to play with them both, the first one as suits your printer,
> the second one as suits the fonts being used around the page and the
> page content.
>
> +--------paper edge-------------+
> |                               |
> |  +-- printable area margin -+ |
> |  |  info about pages        | |
> |  | +----- page margin ----+ | |
> |  | |                      | | |
> |  | | actual page content  | | |
>
> And so on...
>
> I can remember going through this bother with desk top publishing
> programs, with headers, footers, and page bodies.  Even more of a pain
> when you use different printers with different printable areas, and you
> want to print something as close to the edge as you can.

    *Ok, after consuming about an acre of pulp wood I believe I have
    identified the following:

    Page Setup under File allows me to adjust the distance from the top
    of the sheet to where the first line of text is printed. 0.4 inches
    [Top] seems to work.

    File > Print > Properties allows setting of the distance from the
    top of the sheet to the header line.  I set this to 0.1 inch [Top].

    Printing a Footer seems hopeless, but then all I really need is the
    URL of the source and that prints nicely in the header.

    Page Preview may look good but bears only a slight resemblance's to
    what the printer does.

    Bob Goodwin*