How to generate č (c-hachek) in KDE [New issue]

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Tue Jul 3 20:06:37 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 13:08 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 17:11 -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > With the "us-acentos" option, the keys :` ~ ' ": become dead keys useful
> > for forming (say) :à ñ á ä:.  And typing AltGr-Shift-> produces a dead
> > ˇ.  This is interesting to know, but it replaces one difficulty (how to
> > produce a haček) with a greater one (how to produce a quote, backquote
> > or tilde.)
>
> Yes, I couldn't find any way to type those characters when the keyboard
> operated in that mode...

I found out how to produce them, just type AltGr-<whatever>-<whatever>.
This is a bother, I think, which is why I don't like the "us-acentos"
option.

> An alternative is to not do what was outlined, but set up the "compose"
> key, instead.  It's part of the keyboard preferences (I set it to use my
> near-useless Windows key).  Once set up, you have to first press your
> compose key before your keyboard changes over from normal typing to
> composing characters.
> compose c < gives č

This is exactly what I was looking for, EXCEPT that it doesn't work in
Digikam, which is the exact application where I need it.  It does work
in Evolution, and Yumex, but doesn't work in Digikam, Lyx, and
Qalculate.  Font problems?  Probably not, since pasting č in from KChar
Select works just fine.

> Many of the other ones are a bit more obvious what to type, though some
> require a bit of experimentation:
> compose ae gives æ
> compose e^ gives ê
> compose o" gives ö
> compose e' gives é
> compose e` gives è
> compose o- gives õ
> compose o~ gives õ
> compose o_ gives º
> compose (c gives ©
> compose (r gives ®
>
> And so on.  There's a few that I can't find.

Where is a full table of composed characters?  Does anyone on the list
know?

Thanks - jon