right permission set for /tmp

Steve Searle steve at stevesearle.com
Tue Jul 3 23:10:01 UTC 2007

Around 12:03am on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 (UK time), Karl Larsen scrawled:

>    That is all I could learn with man chmod and it didn't define what a
> sticky bit is :-)

How hard did you look?  From 'man chmod':

"A  numeric  mode  is  from  one  to four octal digits (0-7), derived by
adding up the bits with values 4, 2, and 1.   Any  omitted digits  are
assumed  to  be leading zeros.  The first digit selects the set user ID
(4) and set group ID (2) and sticky (1) attributes."

and

"When  the sticky bit is set on a directory, files in that directory may
be unlinked or renamed only by root or their owner.  Without the sticky
bit,  anyone able to write to the directory can delete or rename files.
The sticky bit is commonly found on directories, such as /tmp, that are
world-writable."

Steve

--

 Play Champions - my free football predictions game at:
 	http://www.stevesearle.com/champs/about.html

 00:07:40 up 8 days,  3:47,  0 users,  load average: 0.33, 0.19, 0.07