FOSS? (was Here are some of my ideas for Fedora 8 and Fedora 9)

Eric spamsink at scoot.netis.com
Wed Jul 4 13:37:22 UTC 2007

At 09:21 AM 7/4/2007, Tim wrote:

> [...]
"encumbered," Google it.  I'm not providing all the answers on a plate.<<<<<

Good morning, Tim.

Well, no one asked you to.  :-)

As someone who's been a Linux user since kernel version 0.95, I guess I
have a vague idea what "free" and "open source" means in this
context.  It's just that until today I had never seen or heard the acronym
FOSS applied to it.

I'm also well aware that it's some kind of a cultural requirement on the
Internet that you're not allowed to just give a straight answer to a
question that YOU consider basic or a FAQ, you're required to add some ad
hominem seasoning to it.  It has been that way since the heyday of Fidonet
and RIME and I guess it'll never change.

I have always wished that it were not so.  But, that's OK, I have a thick
skin.  :-)

Anyway, thanks for the info... and Ian, thanks for the link, I should know
by now to have just plugged it into wikipedia and something useful would
probably have come out.