Evolution doesn't save state

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Jul 4 15:23:19 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-06-26 at 10:41 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
>> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>>> --
>> What do you want?  All your unread mail to be marked as read?  Or read
>> mail to be marked as unread?  Or deleted mail to be marked as unread?
>> Or did you just make a mistake in the wording of the above reply?
>>
>> I want the state of my mail to be current with what I have done.  If I
>> read a message, I want it's state changed as I read it.  If I delete a
>> message, I want it gone from my inbox.  At least in Thunderbird, it is
>> moved out of my inbox to "Trash", instantly.
>>
>> I found out that Evolution doesn't move messages when I "move" them.  It
>> copies them and then marks the messages for deletion.   I found this out
>> when I got a message from my admin people to clean out my inbox.  I had
>> to "Expunge" my inbox of thousands of messages.
>>
>> But I think the issue of the OP is the state of the messages left on the
>> exchange server.  If he reads a message in Evolution, it should be
>> marked as read at that point, not at some later time.  Same with deleted
>> messages.  What the complaint is and from what I read, is Evolution
>> doesn't change this state data until closing Evolution, and logging out.
>>
>> To the OP, go to the evolution mail list and search the archives on this.
>>
> We must be having a communication problem. It is true that when a
> message id deleted or moved from a folder it is not actually removed
> from the folder it just disappears from the folder's view and shows up
> in the folder it is going to. In fact if you disable the option hide
> deleted messages you can see it in both folders (trash in the case of
> deletion). To me this is a good thing since I do not have the deleted
> messages hidden and can easily look at a deleted message if I decide
> later i may have missed something it said. The messages are kept in that
> form until evolution is terminated. The same way with read and unread
> messages. When evolution is exited and then restarted messages are
> expunged.
> So that seems OK with me so I don't see what the complaint is . Maybe
> you can clarify your objection to how it works. Is seems possible you
> are taking about IMAP processing with the exchange server where the
> messages remain on the server. If so I can see that the evolution
> approach might be a problem. Is that it?
>

> --

No IMAP in my case.  Not allowed with the IT staff.  Only OWA using the
connector.  It may have been fixed in the newer versions of Evolution
that what was on FC4 but I have gotten into the routine of expunging my
mail before closing Evolution after I had a stuffed inbox with moved
(deleted) messages.  At least messages marked for deletion.

I will have to test again to see if this is working correctly in FC6.

But the issue is when Evolution does it's tasks.  They should be done
immediately, not when Evolution closes.  This brings up the question of
how it handles crashes, just as mine did this morning?

--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.