Evolution doesn't save state

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 16:50:08 UTC 2007

Robin Laing wrote:

>> you can clarify your objection to how it works. Is seems possible you
>> are taking about IMAP processing with the exchange server where the
>> messages remain on the server. If so I can see that the evolution
>> approach might be a problem. Is that it?
>>
> No IMAP in my case.  Not allowed with the IT staff.  Only OWA using the
> connector.  It may have been fixed in the newer versions of Evolution
> that what was on FC4 but I have gotten into the routine of expunging my
> mail before closing Evolution after I had a stuffed inbox with moved
> (deleted) messages.  At least messages marked for deletion.
>
> I will have to test again to see if this is working correctly in FC6.
>
> But the issue is when Evolution does it's tasks.  They should be done
> immediately, not when Evolution closes.  This brings up the question of
> how it handles crashes, just as mine did this morning?

I think the problem is that the owa interface is very inefficient
compared to one like IMAP that was intended as a client API, so the
operations are batched.  Be sure your company management knows that you
are wasting time getting your mail.  Maybe they'll give you a laptop
with Outlook if they don't want to turn on IMAP.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com