mc

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 23:00:42 UTC 2007

Matej Cepl wrote:

>> What kind of operations are you trying to do?  There are a lot of
>> options, including using freenx and the free NX client to get good GUI
>> performance through a remote ssh connection.  Or, use the command line
>
> No thank you -- ssh just works and I don't have to fiddle with another
> complex stuff. Moreover, I have limited bandwidth, so graphic
> applications are out for me.

Freenx/NX work surprisingly well over low bandwidth connections - and
you have the option to suspend your desktop session when you disconnect
so long-running operations can continue and you don't have to wait to
open frequently-used applications, you can just leave them running.
Try it before deciding that it won't be usable on your connection.

>> tools that cover 100% of file management functionality and are
>> faster/easier if you use some conventions when creating files and use
>> names that will match wildcards or put things under directories that can
>> be manipulated in one step.
>
> OK, just if understand correctly -- instead of mc which I like and use,
> you are suggesting either to use Krusader (I don't have KDE installed
> anymore, but that's another matter -- gnome-commander would fit as well)
> or {cp,mv,rm,etc.}? What so terrible and horrible about mc that you are
> not willing to accept that as an option?

I didn't say I wasn't willing to accept it as an option - I asked what
operations you were doing.  Generally I'd use cp/mv/rm myself - or maybe
rsync for copying, but prefer a GUI desktop with several windows visible
at the same time.  I just don't like the user interface of mc very much
and haven't had any problem without it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com