WiFi for a laptop

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat Jul 7 11:43:32 UTC 2007

Richard England wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>> Cameron Simpson wrote:

>>> It's worth checking the output of the "lspci" command under linux.
>>> For example, mine includes these lines:
>>>
>>>   02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82540EP Gigabit
>>> Ethernet Controller (Mobile) (rev 03)
>>>   02:02.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG
>>> Network Connection (rev 05)
>>>
>>> The bottom one is my WiFi interface.
>>>
>>> My /etc/modprobe.conf file says (amongst other things):
>>>
>>>   alias eth0 e1000
>>>   alias eth1 ipw2200
>>>
>>> which causes the command "modprobe eth1" to load the ipw2200 module.
>>>
>>> I'd imagine the "system-config-network" command should figure this
>>> out on its
>>> own for the common cases. How's it do for you?
>>>
>>    Well mine is no where as clear as yours. I have two so called
>> ethernet cards in my laptop. One is a Atheros Communications Inc. and
>> the other is a Realtek Semiconductor Co. so I'm not sure which is
>> what. Guess I will run both through Google.
>>
>> Karl
>>
> Sheesh.
>
> Why don't you post the output from lspci so everyone can see it.
> You probably have a NIC (Network Interface Card) as well as a WiFI card.
> I would suspect the Atheros is the WiFi but with no evidence it is
> hard to know.

    You are right. It is the Atheros because it has MAC811 in it's name
and the other one is the eth0 ethernet divice. So I know the name of my
device, how do I use that to select a proper driver from the many?

    As for posting the whole list, It is on a laptop with no Internet. I
could make a file of it and put it on a Flash drive, bring it to this
computer and add it to a message. Too much work.

Karl