Here are some of my ideas for Fedora 8 and Fedora 9

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 16:28:26 UTC 2007

Erik Hemdal wrote:
> . . .
>

> I think you're wise. Patent licenses cover the processes, but software
> licenses cover the individual implementations that might use patented
> inventions.  So you or I would probably be toast using that argument.
>
> Inventor patents an invention under Patent 1 and licenses it to
> Developer, who releases "Product A".  This product uses the invention in
> Patent 1 legally, because Developer paid for a patent license.  You
> license Product A from Developer when you buy your PC and a copy of
> Windows.  You have a license to use the Product, but you don't have any
> rights to exploit Patent 1 -- just to use the particular implementation
> you licensed from Developer.
>
> Let's say someone else uses the invention in Patent 1 in Product B, but
> he doesn't obtain a patent license.  If you use Product B, you are at
> some risk, because Product B infringes Inventor's patent rights.  You
> might get away with it for a while, if Inventor doesn't protect his
> invention, or just doesn't notice that Product B came out.  But you're
> exposed nonetheless.

Take a slightly different approach here.  Suppose instead of replacing
product A with product B, you make a small modification to product A. Do
you have the right to do that and still use it?  Then you make another
small modification.  Is it still yours?  Repeat until it becomes the
same as product B.  At what point did you lose the right to do the
operation covered by the patent whose rights were obtained by the
purchase of product A, which you still own?

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com