Re: iPod mystery -

Bob Goodwin wrote:

I can plug one of the kid's iPods into the usb port and it comes up on the desktop but as soon as I try to "open" or "mount" I get the following message:

       Unable to mount "Apple iPod Music Player":

       Given device
       "/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_part1_size_98574336" is not
       a volume or drive

I believe I installed everything iPod related that showed on yumex including an application called "exaile."

If it normally is connected to a machine running itunes, connect it back and look in the setup options. There should be a checkbox for whether it appears as a usb drive or not and you can change it there.

What else do I need to do to extract information [music] from it? Or am I trying to do the impossible?

That part is impossible with the usual software, even under itunes. There is some 3rd party software around to do that but I don't know if any runs under linux.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com