Re: Here are some of my ideas for Fedora 8 and Fedora 9

> Which still leaves open the question of how many times you have to pay
> to license the same patent for the same device, or whether you can

Typically each time you buy a device indirectly (and you also pay
indirectly for the patent office through taxes, the cost of patent
lawsuits through product prices, insurance against patent lawsuits
again through product prices) etc.

> rearrange the bits in one licensed program?

Don't know. Ask a patent lawyer