Gnome login

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 8 21:17:31 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-07-08 at 09:33 -0600, Abe Woodrum wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Build: Fedora core 6 x86_64
>
> There are two users on the machine; root and oracle.  Only root is
> able to successfully login to gnome.
>
> When trying to login as oracle I get sent back to the gnome login
> page.  Not really the end of the world as the oracle instance is up
> and running and most configs/administration at this point is done
> through ssh.  But I would like to learn how to resolve this issue.
>
> Any help would be great.
>
> -abe
Usually this means that your gnome configuration files are screwed up.
I would try 1 of 2 approaches:
1. remove all the gnome directories and files with a : rm -r .gnome*
Those in the oracle directory I mean.
Then login as oracle and they should be created again by the system and
you should succeed in logging in.

2. rename you oracle directory oracle2 and create a new oracle
directory. That should straighten things out as well. Copy any thing
vital from your old oracle directory to the new and then remove the old
one.
--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>