Fedora 7 wireless connection woes with Intel Pro/set wireless 3945abg

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Mon Jul 9 12:12:06 UTC 2007

peedee wrote:
> allright, a linux user of about a year now, mostly in ubuntu, but some
> eperience in sabayon, and a few other distros
>
> i just installed fedora and i like it so far, but i'm having
> trouble with connecting wirelessly.
>
> fedora apparently recognizes the card because the device is listed as
> intel pro/wireless or something like that.
>
> when i try to "activate" it with the network configuration tool i get
> this:
>
> Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
>     SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
> Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :
>     SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.
>
> Determining IP information for wlan0... failed.
> i have tried plugging in my settings for one of my home wireless
> routers, but it does not help
>
> i have also tried using various wireless connection managers such as
> wifiradar and kwifimanager (doesnt find any networks)
>
> when i try to use the system launcher for wireless assistant most of
> the time i get an unknown error and it doesnt load
>
> when i launch it manaually, it will load, find my home router, but
> will not connect.
>
> knetwork manager says that it is not running, and it cannot find an
> active device, though currently i am using my lan and it is active...
>
> also as another note, when i installed i told fedora to set up the
> firewall and the selinux, though i wasnt completely sure as to what
> it was.
> everytime i attempted to connect it would pop up and say it blocked
> something and the connection attempt would fail. i disabled a bunch
> of settings for the firewall and selinux and now it doesnt pop up
> anymore but i dont know if this may have something to do with it
> either
> so im stumped, and really want this to work. if anyone has any advice
> or has come up with the same problem let me know
> thanks in advance
>
> pd

    The problems your having with Selinux are typical. It would be best
to turn it off until you get it set up.

    Please do a #lspci and find your wireless hardware in the list. Let
us know what it is. If it is a Intel device your kernel should have the
proper drivers.

    Please try #modprobe ipw2200 and see if it loads.

Karl