Install with root filesystem on Compact Flash

John Wendel john.wendel at metnet.navy.mil
Mon Jul 9 23:57:30 UTC 2007

I'm building a new box and I'd like to install the root filesystem on
a compact flash card. Not too hard. But I want / to be read-only, to
avoid premature wear out of the flash.

It seems that I need to use a "union filesystem" that will let me
mount some writable directories (/etc, /var, ???) from another device.

My brain is too tiny for this stuff, so I need some help. URLS,
whatever, would be appreciated. If you've successfully done something
like this, please share.

Thanks,

John