auto install of nvidia driver

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Tue Jul 10 17:05:38 UTC 2007

On Tue July 10 2007 10:19:54 Gene Heskett wrote:
> >I don't really know exactly how dkms is written - are you
> > sure this script will only work with Fedora kernels? I know
> > it's used by other distros because I learned of it over on
> > the PCLinuxOS list over a year ago. If you install custom
> > kernels, can you get the kernel-devel and kernel-headers
> > packages for same? If so, would dkms not work in that
> > situation? I'm not challenging what you said - I'd just like
> > to know how it works. Looking at Akemi's suggestion, it
> > appears that he's checking the kernel at boot-up and running
> > the nvidia installation if it detects a new kernel, but I
> > don't fully understand the code and could certainly have
> > that wrong, but, if so - doesn't running the nvidia
> > installation file require the devel and headers too?
> > Questions, questions....
>
> Of course it does, but how did I get to the state of running a
> 2.6.22 kernel (which scheduler sucks dead toads through soda
> straws BTW & thanks to Joanne for that phrase) without those
> files being installed?  I'll leave that answer for the younger
> whippersnappers here to figure out...

So, back to my question, if anyone knows the answer. If you need
the devel and headers to get to the state of running your
kernel, which I assume is what you're driving at (pretending to
be a whippersnapper here), then, shouldn't dkms work for your
situation as well? Unless, perhaps the dkms looks in particular
places for certain things, and you've got them in other
places...

just want to understand

--
Claude Jones